Maryam is a passionate lawyer who was admitted to the Supreme Court of Victoria and is also admitted in the High Court of Australia. Maryam graduated with a Double Bachelors Degree of Law and Science from Deakin University and has practiced primarily in Family Law since that time. She is passionate about Family Law and works efficiently to find fair and equitable outcomes for her clients.
Maryam has worked in a number of legal disciplines, including commercial and civil law, personal injury, intervention orders and wills and estate litigation. Having had practical experience in these other areas assists Maryam to understand the interrelated issues involved in her client’s family law matters. She appears regularly on behalf of clients in the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia and the Magistrates’ Court of Australia.
Maryam has special expertise in:
- Complex parenting and property matters;
- Settling parenting and property matters by way of Application for Consent Orders or filing/defending proceedings in the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia including instructing at trials;
- Advocating at Mentions, Directions Hearing, Mediations, Arbitrations, Mentions and Directions’ Hearing; and
- Divorce applications;
- Intervention Orders having represented both Applicants and Respondents.
Maryam also has experience in the following areas of law:
- Civil and commercial litigation;
- Insolvency and bankruptcy;
- Contractual disputes;
- Building disputes;
- Insurance disputes;
- Enforcement of civil orders, summons for oral examination, warrant to seize property, attachment of debt and garnishee orders in the Magistrates’ Court and County Court of Victoria;
- Personal injury; and
- Consumer disputes.
Maryam prides herself on acting with empathy and compassion with all her clients and takes her time to understand and manage her client’s expectations, while always working towards the best outcome for her clients.
Outside of work Maryam is also a dedicated Secretary on a Board which keeps her busy and allows her to continue to practice her legal skills and knowledge in areas of corporate law, governance, financial reporting and regulation. Maryam also enjoys travelling, activities at the beach and loves to spend time with her friends and family.
Qualifications & Memberships
· Admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Victoria
· Admitted to practice in the High Court of Australia
· Double Bachelor’s Degree of Law / Science LLB, BSc (Biol Sc) (Deakin University)
· Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, Leo Cussen
· Membership of the Law Institute of Victoria
· Membership of the Family Law Section of Law Council of Australia